About the Project

In 2016, Rack Room Shoes launched their first iOS and Android apps. I led the design and also played the role of an architect and designer. On my team were 2 developers, a project manager, and a UX architect who came on later. A marketing team and two e-commerce executives represented Rack Room. The project lasted about 8 months in total.

Problems to Solve

  1. Encourage greater participation in their rewards program by reducing customer confusion
  2. Clear up uncertainty about order status
  3. Reduce time spent on the phone with customer service
  4. Integrate their current mobile web shopping system

The Approach

We had a 3-week discovery session with the client where we defined the project's goals, made personas, and mapped out the customer's journey. This journey covered each step of the process from research and planning to unboxing the shoes at home.

To better understand the customer's mindset and struggles, I listened to several hours of customer support calls. I also visited stores to chat with customers. Meeting people in person was much more helpful than any persona we made.

When we began researching the rewards program, I learned that customers had difficulty understanding how it worked. Some felt the rewards were unattainable. Others didn't know that the rewards they did earn expired and were frustrated that they couldn't use them.


After several iterations and tests, we had a rewards system that was well-received by customers. A high percentage understood what rewards they had and when they were expiring. Others were excited by the animations as they earned rewards.

When it came to designing the experience for tracking orders, we found customers had trouble understanding the status of their orders. A common theme was someone not knowing if their shoes had shipped or been delivered.

In response, I designed an order tracking system that shows the customer the most relevant information at a glance. We also set up push notifications for each step of the shipping process.

Our testing showed that customers had a much better understanding of their order's status, thus reducing the need to call for support.

Lastly, the client wanted to include their web-based store. We needed to make this feel as much like an app as possible. I then combed through the site, focusing on performance. I helped them improve server response time, optimize for retina devices, and use HTML5 input types.

Key Accomplishments

  • Boosted average purchase by 20%
  • Increased participation in rewards program by 20%
  • 250% increase in download expectations


The first version of our app required an integration of their mobile web shopping experience (we’ll get to go native soon)
Our main personas, gleaned from research and conversations with stakeholders
Customer journey map, made in collaboration with the information architect and client
Rewards explorations
The order view
Store locator for Android
Rewards animation exploration
Navigation exploration for departments